Tuesday, April 12, 2011

My First Half Marathon!

Two friends of mine talked me into running a half marathon last weekend - I have to say, running 13 miles wasn't as bad as I thought it would be!  After the fact, that is..  I do remember thinking this was a really bad idea around mile 10..  We started training 3 months ago, running 4 days a week, mostly outside in the snow and ice.  It was so nice to see the day of the race arrive with sun and dry ground!  It was probably 45-50 degrees and beautiful.  The race was along the bike path near the lake so it was fun to see the lake and slowly melting ice bobbing along - spring is definitely coming to Vermont - Finally!

You can't see our beads, but we all ran for an organization called Beads of Courage.  They give different colored beads to kids going through cancer treatments - one for each type of treatment they are going through.  It's a way for the kids to be able to explain what they are going through to their friends.  The group sent each of us 2 beads to carry while we trained and raced - afterward, we send one of the beads back to the company with a picture and a note so they can pass it along to a child.  I have a good friend whose daughter is going through treatments for leukemia, so it makes me feel like there is something positive I can do for her!
All in all, it was a good day - I don't think I'd sign up for a full marathon though.  This was plenty for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment